You may have some questions about kitesurfing and kitesurfing lessons so we have tried to answer the most common ones. Hopefully you will find all the information you’re looking for; if not please feel free to contact us!
What is kitesurfing?
- Kitesurfing or kiteboarding is an adventure surface water sport that has been described as combining wakeboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding, and gymnastics into one extreme sport. Kitesurfing harnesses the power of the wind to propel a rider across the water on a small surfboard or a kiteboard (similar to a wakeboard). To make it short we would say that kitesurfing is being able to use a kite as an engine and a board.
What equipment do I need to kitesurf?
- To have fun on the water, the equipment you need is pretty simple: a kite, a board and a harness. This is the very basic gear you will need (which we provide for your lessons). Then, depending on your level and the conditions you may need a wetsuit, boots, impact vest, helmet…
How hard is it to learn kitesurfing?
- Driving a car without a license can be dangerous, the same goes with kiteboarding, If you choose to take kite lessons, that means that you will have the knowledge to be safe at all times.
Do I need to be fit to become a kitesurfer?
- All you need to become a kite surfer is commitment and being comfortable in the water. You might think that you need strength to become a kitesurfer but you’re wrong! You don’t need any particular strength as the harnest will help you handle the power of the kite. Most people can learn how to kitesurf no matter of fitness level or gender.
Is there a minimum age limit for children wishing to learn?
- We teach students from 10 years old depending on weight and also on their level of comprehension and attention.
Am I too old?
- There is no maximum age limit for kitesurfing! As long as your body is in good condition, you can just go for it!
I have practiced some other sports such as wakeboarding, snowboarding, sailing, windsurfing… will it help me?
- For sure it will help! Depending on your background in board sports and/or water sports, some steps of the course will be easier for you. In terms of balance, steering, wind understanding… you might have some good capabilities!
How long do I need to become a kitesurfer?
- Anything from a minimum of 6h to 9h lessons is an average, yet again, it can be different for everyone depending on a lot of different aspects such as your watersport/board sport background, the weather conditions on the day condition etc Remember everybody’s different! The aim of following an IKO kitesurfing course is to get you confident and become an independent kitesurfer. It’s like anything else: the more you practice, the better you become!
What time of the day do your courses run?
- Our schedule is pretty flexible. We can run the course anytime according to the weather forecast and to your availability. Our qualified instructors will liaise with you to organize a time that suits.