You may have some questions about Stand Up Paddleboarding and Stand Up Paddle Yoga classes so we have tried to answer the most common ones. Hopefully you will find all the information you’re looking for; if not please feel free to contact us!
What is SUP Yoga?
- SUP stands for Stand Up Paddle board. Stand Up Paddle Yoga is practicing yoga on a Stand Up Paddle board floating on the ocean. During Stand Up Paddle yoga classes the board is anchored and waist deep water so it is safe and you won’t float away! Classes are 60 minutes and during this time you will get a full body workout. Stand Up Paddle yoga is very good for strengthening the core, improving balance, relaxing and bringing a smile on your face.
Do I need to be able to swim?
- Yes you need to be able to swim at least 50 meters in case you fall into the water. You will have the board to hold onto should you not be a confident swimmer. We do not use flotation vests as these hinder the Yoga practice. You will be required to sign a form declaring you are able to swim.
Will I fall off?
- Maybe! You never know unless you try! Most poses are low to gravity, either seated, laying on the front, the back or kneeling, so you probably wont’ fall off.
The Stand Up paddle Yoga teacher will give some more challenging poses towards the end of the class which you might want to try. Stand Up Paddle Yoga is a lot of fun and enjoyable experience, don’t take yourself too seriously, if you fall off, it doesn’t matter, you probably won’t be the only one!
Do you have to be good at Yoga?
- If you’re new to Yoga, not a problem, the Stand Up Paddle Yoga teacher always gives easy options to each pose to cater for the newbies. Unlike a Yoga studio which can be intimidating for beginners, Stand Up Paddle Yoga offers a fun and light hearted yoga practice based of fun and guarantees a few laughs!
Do you need to know how to use a Stand Up Paddle board?
- You will either walk out to the board (waist deep water) or paddle out laying on your front using your arms to paddle or on your knees using the paddle. The Stand Up Paddle Yoga class generally takes place only a few metres away from the shore, so you don’t not need great paddling technique to get there.
You can book a group or private Stand Up paddle board lesson with one of our SUP instructors should you want to learn how to Stand Up paddle board.
What should I wear?
- Whatever you feel comfortable in! Some people wear swimwear, others shorts and a rash vest. Make sure that whatever you wear it does not restrict your movement. Sun protection is a must such as a hat, sun cream or a rash vest, sunglasses (not expensive ones in case you fall in the water and lose them).